Monday, April 28, 2008

Hannah Montana Goes PG-13


Sure, my six year-old daughter loves Buddy Holly and The Beatles, but she's also a big Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fan. And who am I to discourage that? Lord knows when I was her age I logged my share of hours watching The Partridge Family (even as I was trying to memorize all of the songs on Kris Kristofferson's "The Silver Tongued Devil and I" album).

Now, however, Miley's all over the scandal sheets. Seems her parents thought it wise to make her Annie Leibovitz's latest pop tart-of-the-month, and their decision has sent tabloid reporters and cable commentators into a tizzy.

So, what's the father of a six year-old fan to do? Shred my daughter's Hannah Montana t-shirt? Tear up her Hannah Montana school folder?

Hardly. I plan to ignore the fuss because my daughter doesn't read Vanity Fair, and I don't let her surf the internet or watch The O'Reilly Factor.

I also predict that my daughter's Miley Cyrus phase will last about nine more months. Of course, if, during that nine-month period, Miley shows up in a bootleg R. Kelly video, I'll reconsider my position, and my daughter and I will probably have to have a little talk.

No comments: