Sunday, December 27, 2009

Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"


"Daddy, can we take Brenda Lee with us in the car?"

It's a question my seven-year-old frequently asks me as we head out the door. Brenda Lee's music has definitely had an effect on my youngest daughter, and I think YouTube should get some of the credit for that. To be sure, my daughter certainly enjoyed a lot of the old Brenda Lee records I play around the house before she ever saw a picture of the singer, and she also knew that Ms. Lee cut a lot of those great sides as a kid. But it wasn't until my daughter saw some old black-and-white videos of the young Brenda Lee knocking out audiences with that big, big voice that she bought in for the long haul.

So if you find that your daughter (or son) is spending too much time with the latest "American Idol" flavor-of-the-month or Disney Channel pop star, take a few minutes, sit your kid in front of your computer, and introduce that child to "Little Miss Dynamite."

No comments: